Should my child swallow toothpaste ?
Fluoride, found in toothpaste, is one of the single most influential factors in the decrease in cavities among today's children.
Fluoride incorporates itself into tooth enamel, making the enamel more resistant to acid attack from plaque bacteria.
As with other vitamins and minerals essential for a healthy body, too much of a good thing can be detrimental. Too much fluoride
can cause fluorosis, a condition in which brown spots appear on children's teeth. The primary way children get too much fluoride is by
swallowing fluoride toothpaste.
Remember, have your child spit toothpaste out instead of swallowing it. In this way, they can enjoy the crucial benefits of
fluoride without risking fluorosis.
[ Parenting Dental Health Q& A ]